Contains the active ingredient: Betamethasone Dipropionate (equivalent to Betamethasone 0.05%,) which is a type of medicine called a topical corticosteroid.
Corticosteroids are medicines used for reducing inflammation. Inflammation of the skin happens as a result of allergy or irritation of the skin, and is caused by the release of various substances that are important in the immune system.
These substances cause blood vessels to widen and result in the irritated area becoming red, swollen, itchy and painful, such as is seen in dermatitis or eczema. When betamethasone is applied to the skin it works by acting inside the cells to decrease the release of these inflammatory substances.
This reduces swelling, redness and itch. There is a range of potencies of corticosteroids available for application to the skin. Diprosone cream contains betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% and are classed as potent corticosteroids. They are prescribed to treat various inflammatory skin disorders, such as eczema and dermatitis, that have not responded to milder steroids. Diprosone cream is more suitable for moist, weeping areas of skin
What is it used for?
Diprosone cream is used to treat a variety of inflammatory, allergic or itchy skin disorders, such as those listed below, when milder corticosteroids have not been effective.
- Eczema and dermatitis.
- Inflammatory skin condition with greasy, red and scaly areas (seborrhoeic dermatitis).
- Allergic skin reactions.
- Thickened skin rash caused by excessive scratching to relieve itching (neurodermatitis, eg lichen simplex).
- An eruption of hard nodules in the skin accompanied by intense itching (prurigo nodularis).
- Skin disorder causing a flat, itchy, violet rash, usually on the wrists, shins, lower back and genitals (lichen planus).
- Inflammatory skin disease known as discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE).
- Intense and widespread reddening of the skin (generalised erythroderma) in combination with oral or injected corticosteroids.
English Instruction leaflet inside the box
Manufactured by Schering-Plough
Size : 15 g/tube