Contain 2 active ingredients: Betamethasone Valerate 0.1%, Neomycin Sulfate 0.5%
Betamethasone valerate is a type of medicine called a topical corticosteroid.
Corticosteroids are medicines used for reducing inflammation.
Inflammation of the skin happens as a result of allergy or irritation of the skin, and is caused by the release of various substances that are important in the immune system. These substances cause blood vessels to widen and result in the irritated area becoming red, swollen, itchy and painful, such as is seen in dermatitis or eczema.
When Betamethasone is applied to the skin it works by acting inside the cells to decrease the release of these inflammatory substances.
This reduces swelling, redness and itch. Betamethasone is a potent corticosteroid.
Neomycin is an antibiotic of the aminoglycoside type. It kills bacteria so is described as bactericidal.
The combination of betamethasone and neomycin is used to treat inflammatory skin disorders, which are either infected or likely to become infected.
What is it used for?
- An eruption of hard nodules in the skin accompanied by intense itching (prurigo nodularis).
- Infected insect bites.
- Inflammation of the skin around the genitals or anus, caused by skin surfaces rubbing together (genital or perianal intertrigo)
- Inflammation or irritation of the skin caused by a reaction to irritants (contact dermatitis).
- Inflammatory skin condition with greasy, red and scaly areas (seborrhoeic dermatitis).
- Inflammatory skin disease known as discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE).
- Thickened skin rash caused by excessive scratching to relieve itching (neurodermatitis).
Manufactured by Glaxo Wellcome, Poland
English instruction leaflet inside the box
Size : 15 g /tube