Siamidine 200 mg
3 or more : $24.99 6 or more : $23.99 12 or more : $22.99
- Brand: Siam Bheasach
- Product Code: SP_SMD200
- Availability: In Stock
Contain the active ingredient : Cimetidine, which is a type of medicine called an H2 receptor antagonist. (NB. Cimetidine is also available without a brand name, ie as the generic medicine.) Cimetidine acts in the stomach to decrease the production of stomach acid.
Cimetidine works by blocking H2 receptors that are found on the cells in the stomach lining. A natural body chemical called histamine normally binds to these receptors, causing the cells to produce stomach acid. By blocking the H2 receptors, cimetidine prevents histamine from binding to them. This stops the cells from producing stomach acid.
Stomach acid is produced in the stomach as a normal part of the digestive process. Normally the linings of the stomach and duodenum (an area of the intestine directly after the stomach) are protected by a layer that resists acid attack. However, if this layer is damaged, or large amounts of stomach acid are formed, an ulcer can develop on the lining of the stomach or duodenum. This is called a peptic ulcer.
Acid produced in the stomach can also sometimes flow back into the food pipe (oesophagus). This is called gastro-oesophageal reflux, and can cause pain and a burning sensation known as heartburn. It can also irritate and damage the lining of the oesophagus, causing a condition called reflux oesophagitis.
By reducing the production of stomach acid cimetidine can be used to treat all these and other conditions. It stops excess acid flowing back into the foodpipe and can be used to relieve heartburn symptoms associated with acid reflux. It also allows the oesophagus to heal in reflux oesophagitis.
By reducing the amount of acid in the stomach and duodenum cimetidine also allows peptic ulcers to heal, and prevents them from recurring. It also relieves the symptoms of indigestion caused by excess stomach acid.
Cimetidine can be used to prevent and treat peptic ulcers that can occur as a side effect of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as diclofenac. In addition it can relieve side effects such as indigestion that can be associated with these medicines.
Cimetidine is also used to depress stomach acid production in various other conditions. It is used in varying doses and for varying lengths of time depending on the condition being treated.
What is it used for?
- Peptic ulcers.
- Prevention, treatment and relief of symptoms of peptic ulcers or indigestion associated with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- Preventing bleeding from stress ulceration in the gut in people who are critically ill in intensive care.
- Gastro oesophageal reflux disease.
- Persistant indigestion symptoms related to excess stomach acid.
- Excessive secretion of stomach acid due to a tumour or enlargement of the pancreas (Zollinger-Ellison syndrome).
- Preventing inhalation of acid from the stomach (acid aspiration) whilst under general anaesthetic.
- Preventing inhalation of acid from the stomach (acid aspiration) in pregnant women during labour.
- Preventing the breakdown of pancreatic enzyme supplements (pancreatin) given in the treatment of conditions such as cystic fibrosis and chronic pancreatitis.
- Preventing malabsorption and fluid loss in short bowel syndrome.
Size : 10 x10's = 100 tablets