Contains the active ingredient : Levofloxacin, which is a type of medicine called a quinolone antibiotic. Antibiotics are used to treat infections caused by bacteria. (NB Levofloxacin is also available without a brand name, ie as the generic medicine.)
Levofloxacin works by killing the bacteria that are causing an infection. It does this by entering the bacterial cells and inhibiting a bacterial enzyme called DNA-gyrase. This enzyme is involved in replicating and repairing the genetic material (DNA) of the bacteria. If this enzyme doesn't work, the bacteria cannot reproduce or repair themselves and this kills the bacteria.
Levofloxacin is effective against a large number of bacteria. It is used to treat a range of infections, including infections of the chest, urinary tract and skin.
What is it used for?
- Bacterial infection of the sinuses (sinusitis).
- Acute flare-ups of chronic bronchitis.
- Community-acquired pneumonia.
- Bacterial infections of the urinary tract, such as cystitis and kidney infections (pyelonephritis).
- Chronic bacterial infection of the prostate gland (prostatitis).
- Bacterial infections of the skin or soft tissue.