Curam 1 g
- Product Code: SD_CR1000
- Availability: In Stock
Contains the active ingredients : Amoxicillin (875 mg) and Clavulanic Acid (125 mg)
Amoxicillin is a penicillin-type antibiotic, and clavulanic acid is a medicine that stops bacteria from inactivating the amoxicillin.
Amoxicillin works by interfering with the ability of bacteria to form cell walls. The cell walls of bacteria are vital for their survival. They keep unwanted substances from entering their cells and stop the contents of their cells from leaking out. Amoxicillin impairs the bonds that hold the bacterial cell wall together. This allows holes to appear in the cell walls and kills the bacteria.
Certain bacteria are resistant to penicillin-type antibiotics, because they have developed the ability to produce defensive chemicals called beta-lactamases. These interfere with the structure of penicillin-type antibiotics and stop them from working.
Clavulanic acid is a type of medicine known as a beta-lactamase inhibitor. It is included in this medicine to stop the bacteria from inactivating the amoxicillin, and leaves the bacteria susceptible to attack. Clavulanic acid increases the range of bacteria that amoxicillin can kill.
Curam is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that kills a wide variety of bacteria that cause a wide variety of commonly-occuring infections. It is usually reserved for treating infections caused by bacteria that are resistant to amoxicillin.
What is it used for?
- Bacterial infections of the upper respiratory tract (nasal passages, sinuses etc) eg sinusitis.
- Bacterial infections of the lower respiratory tract (lungs, airways) eg bronchitis, pneumonia.
- Bacterial infections of the ears, nose or throat, eg otitis media, tonsillitis.
- Bacterial infections of the urinary tract or kidneys, in particular recurrent cystitis.
- Bacterial infections of the skin and soft tissue, eg cellulitis, animal bites.
- Dental abscesses.
- Bacterial infections of bones or joints, eg osteomyelitis.
- Bacterial infections of the genital organs, including those following childbirth or abortion.
- Bacterial infections inside the abdomen, eg peritonitis.
- Preventing infections following surgery (by injection).
Manufactured by :Sandoz GmbH, Austria
Size : 12 Film-Coated Tablets