- Product Code: BTG
- Availability: In Stock
Contains the active ingredient : Betamethasone valerate 0.1%, Gentamicin Sulphate (equiv to Gentamicin base) 0.1%
Betamethasone is a type of medicine called a topical corticosteroid.
Corticosteroids (also known as steroids) are medicines used for reducing inflammation. Skin inflammation may occur as a result of an allergic reaction, or irritation of the skin. It is caused by the immune system releasing substances that make blood vessels in the skin widen. This makes the irritated area become red, swollen, itchy and painful, as is seen in dermatitis or eczema.
When betamethasone is applied to the skin it acts inside cells to decrease the release of these inflammatory substances. This reduces swelling, redness and itching.
Gentamicin works by affecting the bacteria's production of certain proteins that are necessary for their survival. It causes the bacteria to produce abnormal and faulty proteins. This ultimately kills the bacteria and clears up the infection.
The combination of Betamethasone and Gentamicin is used to treat inflammatory skin disorders that are either already infected, or your doctor thinks are likely to become infected, for example because you are using airtight dressings. Dressings can create a warm, moist environment where bacteria and fungi can grow easily.
What is it used for?
- Eczema of various types.
- Skin inflammation due to allergies or irritants (allergic contact dermatitis or irritant contact dermatitis).
- Inflammatory skin condition with greasy, red and scaly areas (seborrhoeic dermatitis).
- Thickened skin rash caused by excessive scratching to relieve itching (neurodermatitis, eg lichen simplex).
- An eruption of hard nodules in the skin accompanied by intense itching (prurigo nodularis).
- Skin disorder causing a flat, itchy, violet rash, usually on the wrists, shins, lower back and genitals (lichen planus).
- Inflammatory skin disease known as discoid lupus erythematosus (DLE).
- Intense and widespread reddening of the skin (generalised erythroderma) in combination with oral or injected corticosteroids.
- Reactions to insect bites and stings.
Size : 15 g /tube