Contains the active ingredient : Azithromycin, which is a macrolide antibiotic. Azithromycin is also available as the generic medicine. Azithromycin is used to treat infections caused by bacteria.
Azithromycin is a macrolide-type antibiotic. It works by preventing bacteria from producing proteins that are essential to them. Without these proteins the bacteria cannot grow, replicate and increase in numbers. Azithromycin therefore stops the spread of infection and remaining bacteria are killed by the body's immune system or eventually die.
Azithromycin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, which means it is active against a wide variety of bacteria that cause a wide variety of infections. Azithromycin may be used to treat infections of the upper or lower airways, skin or soft tissue, or ears. It is also used to treat the sexually-transmitted infection chlamydia.
What is it used for?
- Bacterial infection of the lungs and airways (chest or lower respiratory tract infection) eg pneumonia, bronchitis.
- Bacterial infections of the nasal passages, sinuses or throat (upper respiratory tract infection) eg sinusitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis.
- Bacterial infections of the middle ear (otitis media).
- Bacterial infections of the skin or soft tissue.
- Uncomplicated gonorrhoea.
- Mild or moderate typhoid due to multiple-antibacterial-resistant organisms (unlicensed use).
- Lyme disease (unlicensed use).
Size : 6 tablets/box