Contains the active ingredient : Clarithromycin which is a type of medicine called a macrolide antibiotic. It works by preventing bacteria from producing proteins that are essential to them. Without these proteins the bacteria cannot grow, replicate and increase in numbers. The bacteria eventually die or are destroyed by the immune system. This clears up the infection.
Clarithromycin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that helps clear up infections caused by a wide variety of bacteria.
What is it used for?
Clarithromycin is used to treat infections caused by susceptible bacteria, such as the following:
- Chest infections (lung or lower respiratory tract infections), eg bronchitis, pneumonia. Clarithromycin may also be prescribed to prevent whooping cough in people who haven't been vaccinated against whooping cough and who are in close contact with someone who has it.
- Infections of the nasal passages, sinuses or throat (upper respiratory tract infections) eg sinusitis, pharyngitis.
- Skin or soft tissue infections, eg cellulitis, folliculitis or erysipelas.
- Middle ear infections (otitis media).
- Lyme disease.
- Eradicating Helicobacter pylori bacteria from the gut in people with peptic ulcers (in combination with other medicines).