Contains the active ingredient : Ketoconazole, which is a type of medicine called an antifungal. It is used to treat infections with fungi and yeasts.
Ketoconazole kills fungi and yeasts by interfering with their cell membranes. It works by stopping the fungi from producing a substance called ergosterol, which is an essential component of fungal cell membranes. The disruption in production of ergosterol causes holes to appear in the fungal cell membrane.
The cell membranes of fungi are vital for their survival. They keep unwanted substances from entering the cells and stop the contents of the cells from leaking out. As ketoconazole causes holes to appear in the cell membranes, essential constituents of the fungal cells can leak out. This kills the fungi and clears up the infection.
Ketoconazole cream may be prescribed to treat a number of different types of fungal and yeast infections. These include ringworm, athlete’s foot, jock itch, thrush infections of the skin and vagina (candidosis), and skin conditions that are caused by infection with the yeast Pityrosporum (Malassezia), such as seborrheic dermatitis and pityriasis versicolor.
- Fungal infections of the skin, such as ringworm (tinea corporis), jock itch (tinea cruris) or athlete's foot (tinea pedis).
- Inflammatory skin condition with greasy, red and scaly areas (seborrhoeic dermatitis).
- Fungal skin condition called pityriasis versicolor.
- Candida infections of the skin.
- Relieving the external symptoms (candidal vulvitis) of vaginal thrush (candidal vaginitis)
English instruction inside the box